Awareness-raising campaigns generally have limited success as they are perceived as inaccurate, biased Western propaganda or poorly informed. YAIM’s awareness-raising counteracts these assumptions, however, since the imparters of the information are people that have made the journey and face the same issues that the average person in The Gambia faces. People only trust information if they share a relationship or trust the transmitters and YAIM members not being part of the elite reinforces that trust. Also, YAIM can contribute to creating a more sustainable return process by providing guidance and information.
YAIM members have travelled to Libya with the hope of crossing to Europe through the Mediterranean in search of jobs, but now they are back with the same hope of MAKING IT HERE. While urging the government and stakeholders to provide more opportunities for Gambian youth to prevent them from endangering their lives looking for greener pastures abroad.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
- To sensitize the children and youths in a form of drama, music, sports, talk shows, public gatherings, etc.
- Create job opportunities for voluntary returnees and potential migrants.
- Create a partnership with Government, private sectors, donor agencies, training institutions, communities,
- Advocate for creating the environment and incentives that encourage people to adopt agriculture in both rural and urban areas.
- To break the cycle of seeing agriculture as a trade for poor people by the youths.
- To organize capacity building programs
- To promote the demographic dividend