Glimpses of Organic Waste Management Sensitization by Mbolo Association and KMC

The trend of industrialization and the fast-growing population in the urban areas have led to the increase of waste in The Gambia and many parts of the world. As one of the biggest problems causing global warming today, activities, seminars and programmes are organized every day to sensitize people about the need to manage their waste. Recycling and reusing waste have been the main solution to drop the amount of garbage.
In February 2021, Mbolo Association jointly launched a waste management project with the three Municipal councils of the Metropolitan Area of Greater Banjul (MAGB), which are Kanifing Municipal Council, Banjul City Council and Brikama Area Council. The project was technically and financially supported by the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona.
The purpose of the project was to manage the organic waste from five pilot markets in MAGB , which is the biggest agent of contribution to climate change regarding waste management. The five markets are Marche Ngellew and Bakoteh fish market (KMC), Royal Albert Market in Banjul and Farato and Busumbala market (BAC).
On August 21st 2021, the pilot project on organic waste collection at the markets was launched at Marche Ngellew in London Corner. Sensitization and training vendors on how to manage their biodegradable waste. The project aim is to collect organic waste and transform it into compost be reused in women’s gardens and farms. Market vendors and customers frequenting the market were trained on how to segregate biodegradable waste at source.
Studies in The Gambia has shown that 50% of the domestic waste is organic, and 67% of waste from the markets is organic, leaving only 33% of non-biodegradable waste. When waste is separated from the source, it will reduce the amount of waste going to the dumping site in Bakoteh, which is not a landfill. A drama and a song were presented as a tool for sensitization. The drama and the song break down in detail the all the process from biowaste to resource. After that, a short presentation was done by some of the members of the Mbolo Association, who are the ambassadors of the project. Two waste bins were presented to each vendor: a small one for each vendor and a bigger one with a differentiated colour from the non-biodegradable waste for organic waste for market collection.
The sensitization will continue in the other markets, schools and homes to teach people the importance of segregating their organic waste at source and presenting them the organic compost which can be used in the gardens and farms.
Contact Details
Do you want to contribute to MyCharity Projects?

We seek to contribute towards the transformation and development of The Gambia by functioning also as a platform that connects people of diverse origins to the essence of working together for a better world.

If you are thinking how can you add your part, you are in the right place.

My Charity is a place of fundraising campaigns and volunteering opportunities.  

Thinking about how to give back on your holidays or help your favourite destination to develop more?

Previous
Next

Did you enjoy this article? Share it with friends >>>

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

Other Articles

Lighting up a village of Nioro Tukolor with ComAfrique-Inversol Initiative

Light Up A Village is a project under ComAfrique-Inversol Initiative. Seeing the destructive nature of candles, their goal was to eliminate the dangers of candles and provide a light that was safer, better and cheaper and far more sustainable than a candle. They are bringing lights to every household and removing candles from the lives of people in the villages up the country. This project not only brings brightness to the people of the village but also promotes health, education, financial and social benefits.

Read More »

The Gambia through the lens of Urška Nabergoj

I was in The Gambia for three weeks in August 2021 when volunteering in the local school. That way, I have seen many different shades of the country. Colourful green rice fields in the central Gambia on the one hand and the flooded roads on the other. Beautiful wildlife in forests and hungry stray animals in the cities. People working hard for survival, but at the same time always being kind, fair and honest. In the end, it really is as simple as they say there »it’s nice to be nice«.

Read More »

Ideas for half day and full day trips

The Gambia is the smallest country on the mainland of Africa. It is located in the West African region. It borders on the Atlantic Ocean in the West and Senegal from all other sides, but it still retains its own clear identity.

Read More »
error: Content is protected !!